This is me, trying very hard to master the art of taking my own picture. I will keep working on it.
We are rounding out nicely at 24 weeks, which means I’m also watching the countdown—we have 16 weeks to go. That’s four months. Which is two months less than the total number of months that I’ve been pregnant. Which is hard to believe.
Here are some of the highlights from this past month:
1. Less intense cravings, which means that I can pack my lunch and still be excited when it’s time to eat it. This is so much better than it was in the first trimester when what I wanted to eat changed with the wind (and often included me going out to buy something palatable while my lunch bag lingered in the fridge). I am still eating a lot of yogurt, but I don’t feel as compelled to inhale it as I did just a few weeks ago, though I will say that my interest in soft tacos of all kinds has greatly increased.
2. Less sleep. Oh sigh, the insomnia. Actually, this week was a lot better than last week (which was pretty awful), but when you wake up 5-6 times a night, sleep is bound to be compromised. We’ve been reading more before bed, which seems to be helping.
3. More tiny baby movement, though it’s still unpredictable (which is normal, according to the midwives). Some days it feels like she’s trying to jump out of my belly, some days she’s rather chill and “in hiding” as we like to say. I was able to see my belly moving when she kicked earlier this week, which felt like a sure sign that she’s getting bigger (she’s supposed to weigh about 1.5 pounds now, according to the baby experts).
4. I still have moments when I forget that I’m pregnant, and then I look down and think, “oh, that’s right!”. Which I find fascinating since otherwise I’m pretty obsessed with it.
5. Two people at work spoke to my stomach this week, instead of talking to my face. That felt a little rude to me, but I guess I should get used to it (?).
6. I bought a fancy wrap (it’s gender neutral with lovely gray and cream stripes so Josh can wear it too) which I plan to alternate with our Moby wrap (a hand me down from a friend!). That is, so far, the only thing I’ve purchased for the baby and I am so excited about it and baby wearing.
7. I am a baby-book reading machine. The best one that I’ve read lately is Natural Hospital Birth: The Best of Both Worlds, which made me excited (really!) about giving birth and for standing up (over and over) for how Josh and I want this experience to go. We start Bradley classes at the end of the month, which I imagine will have a similar effect on me. I’m currently reading about baby sleeping habits…
8. We hired a doula. Hooray for experienced birthing support!
Overall, things are progressing nicely and normally (from what I can tell) and I’m excited that the further along in this pregnancy that I get, the closer we are to spring. It’s so lovely to have both of those things to look forward to at the same time.
P.S. Here’s where we were at week 20.