Me and my Baby Bump, 24 Weeks

This is me, trying very hard to master the art of taking my own picture. I will keep working on it.

We are rounding out nicely at 24 weeks, which means I’m also watching the countdown—we have 16 weeks to go.  That’s four months. Which is two months less than the total number of months that I’ve been pregnant. Which is hard to believe.

Here are some of the highlights from this past month:

1. Less intense cravings, which means that I can pack my lunch and still be excited when it’s time to eat it. This is so much better than it was in the first trimester when what I wanted to eat changed with the wind (and often included me going out to buy something palatable while my lunch bag lingered in the fridge). I am still eating a lot of yogurt, but I don’t feel as compelled to inhale it as I did just a few weeks ago, though I will say that my interest in soft tacos of all kinds has greatly increased.

2. Less sleep. Oh sigh, the insomnia. Actually, this week was a lot better than last week (which was pretty awful), but when you wake up 5-6 times a night, sleep is bound to be compromised. We’ve been reading more before bed, which seems to be helping.

3. More tiny baby movement, though it’s still unpredictable (which is normal, according to the midwives). Some days it feels like she’s trying to jump out of my belly, some days she’s rather chill and “in hiding” as we like to say. I was able to see my belly moving when she kicked earlier this week, which felt like a sure sign that she’s getting bigger (she’s supposed to weigh about 1.5 pounds now, according to the baby experts).

4. I still have moments when I forget that I’m pregnant, and then I look down and think, “oh, that’s right!”. Which I find fascinating since otherwise I’m pretty obsessed with it.

5. Two people at work spoke to my stomach this week, instead of talking to my face. That felt a little rude to me, but I guess I should get used to it (?).

6. I bought a fancy wrap (it’s gender neutral with lovely gray and cream stripes so Josh can wear it too) which I plan to alternate with our Moby wrap (a hand me down from a friend!). That is, so far, the only thing I’ve purchased for the baby and I am so excited about it and baby wearing.

7. I am a baby-book reading machine. The best one that I’ve read lately is Natural Hospital Birth: The Best of Both Worlds, which made me excited (really!) about giving birth and for standing up (over and over) for how Josh and I want this experience to go. We start Bradley classes at the end of the month, which I imagine will have a similar effect on me. I’m currently reading about baby sleeping habits…

8. We hired a doula. Hooray for experienced birthing support!

Overall, things are progressing nicely and normally (from what I can tell) and I’m excited that the further along in this pregnancy that I get, the closer we are to spring. It’s so lovely to have both of those things to look forward to at the same time.

P.S. Here’s where we were at week 20.

This entry was posted in baby and tagged . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

8 Comments

1. Caitlin
    Posted February 10, 2012 at 1:33 pm | Permalink

People are talking TO your belly? Huh? I mean, I’d expect everyone to want to touch your stomach (even after discussing how rude and inappropriate that is in one-too-many women’s studies courses, I still have to remind myself to ASK PERMISSION! It’s like a magnet!) but this “look up at my face” phenomenon is news to me… You look beautiful btw! xo

• amy
      Posted February 10, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Permalink

I was just as surprised- I mean I’m not that big! I heard another pregnant friend say that the same thing was happening to her, so maybe this is a thing people do? And thank you:)

2. Kate
    Posted February 10, 2012 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

Also, certainly NYC is more baby-wearing friendly than other places (since we walk everywhere), but we’ve loved loved loved our Ergo. It’s not an immediate need because the baby won’t fit into it for about 4-5 months, but after that, a lot of babies are really heavy for a traditional wrap, and the Ergo is a godsend. I still throw our 10-month-old into it, and she weighs 21+ pounds now.

Also, perhaps maternity clothing will work for you through your entire pregnancy, but I’m long torsoed and had real trouble with my belly showing as I got huge-er. Friend of mine suggested buying a pack of XL men’s Hanes tank tops (ribbed), and I did, and they were fabulous for bridging the gap between my maternity tops and my pants. Then again, I was due in March so I was wearing layers anyway — you might not be so averse to showing a little skin if you’re due in the summertime. :)

Oh, and my favorite sleeping item of all time: Boppy sells a pregnancy “wedge” thing for about $15 on Amazon. Far less real estate than a whole body pillow, but just enough support for my belly toward the end.

• amy
      Posted February 10, 2012 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

We are registered for an ergo for when the baby is a bit bigger- so I am glad to hear that you are still getting so much use out it! And excellent pointers about the tanks (I very well might have the same issue) and the wedge—I’ve been reluctant to buy a body pillow since I already take up a lot of space in the bed but that sounds like it might be helpful!

3. Amy B
    Posted February 10, 2012 at 4:37 pm | Permalink

I’m really excited for you and Josh (I’m a college friend of his.). I echo the love for the Ergo baby carrier. It was a blessing over the past year since my hubby was deployed. I had to take our daughter with me everywhere since the post childwatch wouldn’t take her. We did an alternative vaccine schedule and they wouldn’t allow us to register her without all of the “recommended vaccinations”. I also ventured into cloth diapers with this child and I’m so glad I took the plunge! They are great! Get a few and try them out. Almost all of my friends cloth diaper and we all have different ones that we prefer. I bought a few used so I could find which ones I liked best. Good luck to you both as you start this journey into parenthood! It has changed me in ways I couldn’t have imagined!!

• amy
      Posted February 14, 2012 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

Thanks so much Amy!

4. emily linacre
    Posted February 14, 2012 at 3:50 pm | Permalink

hi amy! you don’t know me–i’m a student of dr d’s from central :) and i’m a total creeper, snooping on your blog! but, i’m obsessed with everything about pregnancy and baby right now (we just had our twin boys in december!), so when he had this posted on his facebook, of course i had to check it out! you look lovely! :) enjoy your bump! i miss it, so much!
    anyway, i just wanted to second amy b’s comment about trying cloth diapers. i’d be kinda surprised if it hadn’t already crossed your mind, but we’re using cloth prefolds, thirsties covers, and bumgenius flips diapers with our boys, and looove them! we had to use disposables for their first few weeks since they were preemies and too little to fit nicely in the cloth. it was INSANE how many we went through! and we spent almost half of what we spent on our whole cloth diaper stash in those few weeks on disposables…eeek!
    also, just a note about babywearing–not sure if you’re on facebook, too, but there’s a des moines area babywearing and cloth diapering group on there. the ladies (and guys!) are super helpful if you have any questions! :)
    congratulations again, to both of you! hope you don’t mind me following your story on here :)

• amy
      Posted February 14, 2012 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

Big congrats on your boys Emily!! I am planning to try out a few different types of cloth diapers (everyone seems to say that is the best idea!). And I will check into the groups that you mentioned—thanks so much for the resource!

One Trackback

1. By What I’m into | BS in the Midwest on February 23, 2012 at 5:35 pm

[...] baby fever is catching. I sent this Fuel/Friends “Freshly Hatched” Mix to my friend Amy whose little baby bump is super adorable. Totally excited that there was a David Wax Museum song on [...]